Wellness, Social Innovation, & Engagement on Campus
Offering employees a chance to learn how to grow their own organic vegetables at work furthers our mission to connect people with the Earth. Growing food from seed to harvest is an experience unlike any other. We wish to recreate that experience on corporate campuses.
Physical activity of tending to the garden & enjoying healthiest food possible, Social interactions with other garden program participants, Intellectually challenging by problem solving in a unique setting, Spiritual connection to the earth and your food, emotional health through relaxation and mindfulness in the garden, Occupation becomes well-rounded with more to look forward to each and every day! (RIGHT) Garden participant harvesting fresh lettuce and greens at work!
An Example of How it is Done Right: PayPal HQ
PayPal’s Corporate Gardening Details
In 2012, we developed a comprehensive corporate gardening program at Paypal HQ (formerly eBay) to teach their employees how to grow food while at work. The program focuses on education of employees during lunch hours by providing hands-on classes, maintenance services, and convenient garden access.
Troy Smothermon (Co-Founder) leading a Company-wide Workshop for Employees to Learn the Magic of Organic Gardening
Originally designed & installed as a pilot program for 20 employees, the program has grown to more than 50 (with a growing waiting list)
Additional Program Details:
- Demonstration garden (maintained by StartOrganic) provides a living classroom, meeting place, and a good example for participants to follow in their own gardens.
- Weekly Q&A sessions for employees provide hands-on support, gardening resources and convenient regular education during lunch hours.
- Company-wide Seasonal Workshops extend the program giving everyone a chance to learn and take organic gardening knowledge home.
- Integration with PayPal HR continually helps further company goals relating to wellness, engagement, social innovation, sustainability and more.
- We have expanded our PayPal employee garden three times due to a huge employee demand and proven value to PayPal’s Wellness & Benefits teams.
Lunch is best picked fresh!
Two corporate garden participants enjoying their fresh-as-you-can-get lunch of Spinach, Arugula, Tomatoes and Basil from their own Gardens.
No Garden? We’ll still engage your employees 🙂
Smothermon Leading Garlic and Winter Gardening Workshop at Linkedin
Don’t have the space for an garden on campus? We’ll help you meet your company goals by teaching healthy eating, fun physical activity, mindfulness, relaxation, and a life-skill with our organic gardening workshop series. StartOrganic continually partners with eBay, LinkedIn, Evernote, and More high profile companies to raise awareness and promote gardening. Workshops are always fun and extremely informative!
To See What Others Have to Say About our Corporate Gardens, Click Here